Monday, October 26, 2009

Great food at the right price

Lets talk food. Good food should not always be expensive. Some of my favorite places are low key, not trendy and family style. I love the HUMMUS BAR in the valley they have it all right. This is hands down the best Israeli food that I have had in Los Angeles. I love the food and the service is always great. Friendly Israeli staff who love family and make the experience a memorable one. First they come out with an amazing array of small sample plates of Harif, pickled veggies and garbanzo beans with Tahini (no charge). They serve this giant Laffa Bread that just keeps on coming (no charge). I highly recommend the Middle Eastern Kebab, the ground beef with fresh herbs and onions is super tasty. The chicken thigh skewer is tender, juicy and has great spices added to make it a winning dish. The Israeli salad is great. I can't say enough good things about this place, the only thing I that needs work is the Hummus. I recommend they pick up Trader Joe's Middle Eastern Hummus and replicate the hummus taste in their restaurant. Located in Encino, address 18743 Ventura Blvd, Tarzana, CA 91356 (818) 344-6606 hummusbargrill.com

SUNNIN CAFE is the best Lebanese restaurant on the Westside. It is a total dive, you will hear lots of swearing in Arabic so brace yourself. The food is good and cheap. They have a great Fattoush Salad made with the traditional flavors and pieces of crispy pita. I enjoy the Kefta kebab plate with the ground beef, which has a great grilled flavor. The Chicken Kebab plate is served with tender pieces of chicken filet marinated in garlic, grilled on skewers, served with Rice, and Lebanese Salad. The hummus is delicious, just the right amount of tanginess. The Spicy Kefta baked in a spicy tomato sauce with herbs, is a must try dish. Located on the in Westwood. 1779 Westwood Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90024-5646 (310) 477-2358 www.sunnin.com

Pizza, pizza is such a personal choice. I like thin crust and extra crispy. I enjoy going to JOE'S PIZZA in Santa Monica. Great fresh mozzarella, sweet light tomato sauce and yes crispy. Know that's what I am talking about, it takes a New Yorker to open up a pizza place in LA to show us great pizza. Cheap and awesome.
Joe's Pizza of Bleecker Street. Located in Santa Monica at 111 Broadway, Santa Monica CA 90401 310-395-9222 www.joespizza.com

1 comment:

  1. At Sunnin I like the grilled chicken kebab served with a creamy garlic paste.

    ReplyDelete